Coffin assault duo seeks bail

Written by on December 7, 2017

The two men commonly known as the ‘coffin assault duo’, who were imprisoned for assaulting Victor Mlotshwa and forcing him into a coffin, have returned to court on Thursday to seek bail.

Times Live reports that the men, Willem Oosthuizen and Theo Jackson, are also awaiting a decision from the Supreme Court of Appeal regarding their sentences.

Speaking to Times Live on Wednesday, Mlotshwa said he was distraught by the proceedings of the case.

“I don’t know what is happening but I am broken inside‚” he said.

According to eNCA, Judge Segopotje Mphahlele has refused the bail application.

In October Oosthuizen and Jackson were sentenced to 11 and 14 years imprisonment respectively.

The initial sentencing had been 16 and 19 years, however, five years of each sentence was suspended.

The coffin duo was convicted of kidnapping, intimidation, assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, attempted murder and defeating the ends of justice.

The farmers were arrested after a video of their attack on Mlotshwa went viral on social media.


#HashtagRadio

engage.

Current track
TITLE
ARTIST