9 dead in failed robbery attempt

Written by on February 6, 2018

Nine people have been killed in a shootout between police and several suspects believed to have planned a robbery in Bulwer, KwaZulu-Natal.

In response to a tip-off regarding a planned robbery in the area, police conducted an intelligence driven operation in Bulwer on Monday.

According to a police statement, three vehicles were identified as “suspicious.”

The suspicious vehicles were closely monitored and followed when they eventually left the area.

Two of the vehicles headed for Boston and Bulwer while the third made a beeline onto the N3 freeway towards Durban.

Police attempted to pull over the first two vehicles at Mpophomeni and came under heavy gunfire as the suspects shot at at them in order to avoid arrest.

Six of the suspects were shot and killed, and one injured.

A shootout ensued when police tried to pull over the third vehicle as well.

Three suspects were shot and killed and a fourth suspect was injured.

The injured suspects were transported to a nearby hospital under police guard.

Police managed to recover high calibre rifles and handguns from the suspects.

weapons recovered from planned robbery

Additionally, it was found that one of the vehicles had been previously hijacked in Durban.

Cases of attempted murder and possession of unlicensed firearms and ammunition have been opened for further investigation.

KwaZulu-Natal Acting Provincial Commissioner Major General Bheki Langa says that he is relieved that no police officers were killed in the shootout.

“Every day our police officers are met with gunfire when they attempt to carry out their duties by arresting criminals. Police officers are always reminded to be operationally ready at all times. We will not be intimidated by armed thugs and we will continue to serve and protect the citizens of this province,” said Langa.


#HashtagRadio

engage.

Current track
TITLE
ARTIST